The topic areas for preliminary rounds and the semifinal round (if needed) are listed below in no particular order:
- Climate Change and Its Consequences
- Global Trade and Finance
- US Military and National Security
- US Legislative Politics
- Media and Culture
The topic area for the final round will be The State of Liberal Democracy.
Topic areas will be construed broadly.
The Extemp topic areas for the November 17 tournament at Riverview are now available on Tabroom.
The October Extemp topic areas (for the tournament at Dixie Hollins) have been published on Tabroom and are now available here:
- US Trade Policy and the Global Economy
- US Health Care and Public Health
- North Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia
- The President and His Staff, in Their Own Words
There are three things to keep in mind. First, while one topic area will be used for the questions in each round, this is not necessarily the order in which these topics will be presented. Second, these topic areas are intentionally broad, so don’t neglect the rest of your file.
Third, the “in their own words” in the final topic area signifies a tweet round. If you’ve never seen one of these or need a refresher, continue reading.
Continue reading →
The topic areas for Extemporaneous Speaking at the September 22 tournament at Dixie Hollins have been posted to Tabroom.
September Topic Areas
- Business and Economic Policy
- International Affairs and US Foreign Policy
- Science, Technology, Culture, and Media
- US Politics/2018 Election
(NOTE: Although one topic area will be used in each round, the topic areas are not necessarily posted in the order in which they will appear.)